Mozilla Status Board

gavin@gavinsharp.com

Current Status - 2013-07-02

Done:

Next:

  • Blog post about work week
  • finalize Q3 goals

Older Posts

Member of Projects

Team Posts

ehumphries@mozilla.com 2 days ago

Done:

  • Organized Bug Program Pilots for Hello and Core::DOM
    • Hello starts 2/8
    • Core::DOM starts 2/16 (Overholt on PTO next week)
  • Set up Worksheets for Hello and Core::DOM Triage

Next:

  • Start triaging new bugs in Hello
  • Get Developer Tools on-boarded and triaging

Coordination:

  • Need to sync with Jim Walker
  • OOO Tuesday (but running early morning meetings)

bwinton@mozilla.com 2 days ago

Done:

  • Prototypes:

    • Update the TabCenterTest add-on to use the light theme by default.
    • Talk to vng about making Doorhangers in addons.
    • Talk to Matt Grimes about Shield and Test Pilot.
    • Help vng access browser-chrome from his add-on.
  • Style Guide:

    • Add radio buttons to the Style Guide.
    • Add checkboxes to the Style Guide.
    • Talk to Mike Hoye about getting community contributions to the Style Guide.
    • Add Inputs content.
    • Add Panels content.
  • WebExtensions:

    • Port the "GitHub Canned Responses" Chrome add-on to a WebExtension!
    • Help notwaldorf get the "GitHub Canned Responses" WebExtension up on AMO.
    • Email Ghostery developer about upgrading to a more-supported options API.
    • Help Triage WebExtensions bugs for Version 1!.
  • Other:

    • Make a shallow-dive about the various data sources for Monday's meeting.
    • Send Rebecca Weiss the Data Sources info I collected.

Next:

  • WebExtensions:

  • Whimsy:

    • Make Whimsy e10s compatible.

rfeeley@mozilla.com 2 days ago

Next:

  • Synced Tabs button introduction for multi-device syncers
  • UX support for AMO to FxA migration

mreid@mozilla.com 4 days ago

Done:

Long overdue update!

Churn report

  • Met and discussed with Dave Z, Chris M, Josephine T
  • Initial proof of concept based on raw UT data ("active" signal only)
  • Derived dataset (parquet) using telemetry-batch-view framework
  • Schedule a job to keep Churn dataset up to date
  • Backfill churn data to Nov 1
  • Revise PoC using derived dataset (active only)
  • Add "inactive user" signal
  • Fix sort+dropDuplicates, use Window Function instead
  • Generate sample data with active and inactive signal
  • Begin backfilling aggregate data to Nov 1, 2015 (Up to week of 20151206 to 20151212 so far)

Next:

  • Continue backfilling / validating churn aggregates
  • Package jupyter-notebook-gist on PyPI
  • Help with longitudinal analysis where possible

Coordination:

  • Need to coordinate with josephine, dzeber, cmore on validating the churn data

alessio.placitelli@gmail.com 4 days ago

Done:

  • Bug 1241265 - TELEMETRY_ARCHIVE_EVICTING_DIRS_MS regression with Nightly buildid >=20160112
  • Discussed with Chris Coulson aboug Bug 1233687 ( Ubuntu Firefox builds don't send Telemetry)
  • Bug 1244186 - List all the fields in the main ping

Next:

  • Bug 1233687 - Ubuntu Firefox builds don't send Telemetry
  • Bug 1243772 - Make sure Ubuntu Firefox works as expected with Unified Telemetry enabled
  • Bug 1244182 - Properly document all the fields of the main ping
  • Bug 1243893 - Telemetry in-tree docs conflict with actual pings

Coordination:

  • Waiting on updates from Chris Coulson

spohl@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

  • bug 1234355: Remove "Don't ask me again" footgun option from the "enable DRM" info bar notification - Reviewed patches.
  • bug 394984: Unable to update on mac if admin user is not the same admin user as the person who installed firefox - Addressed review feedback, fixed newly discovered issues, sent patches for additional review.
  • Update orphaning dashboard - Revised wiki page based on feedback. Continued implementation.

Next:

  • bug 394984: Unable to update on mac if admin user is not the same admin user as the person who installed firefox
  • Continue work on the proposal for the update orphaning dashboard as well as the spark job and the actual dashboard.

alam@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

  • Cont'd with Bookmarks/RL updates
  • Onboarding V2 follow-up
  • Notifications exploration

Next:

  • Address Bookmarks/RL feedback
  • Subscribe-to-page ideas
  • Misc bugs to follow up on
  • Notifications exploration

rvitillo@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

  • More longitudinal dataset work
  • FXA analysis review
  • Churn dataset review
  • Activity histogram analysis https://gist.github.com/vitillo/ae0464d7f1dd39752ab6
  • telemetry-server reviews
  • Randomised trials discussion
  • Spark support
  • Built derived dataset for beta45 e10s experiment
  • Bug 1172543 - Empty histograms should be submitted - followed up
  • Bug 1240887 - Compare BHR rates vs chrome-hang rates on Nightly - reviewed analysis
  • Bug 1243523 - Define a schema for main pings for validation purposes - filed
  • Bug 1243524 - Write a Heka filter to validate incoming main pings - filed
  • Bug 1243528 - Store validated incoming main pings in Parquet files on S3 - filed
  • e10s add-on performance meeting with billm
  • Longitudinal analysis project coordination meeting
  • e10s measurement team meeting

Next:

  • More longitudinal dataset work

azhang@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

Next:

  • Add child-only mode to Statuser (this is actually done already, just need to submit it).
  • Look into adding tab switching time histogram - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1242013.
  • Get the aforementioned child BHR stats patch landed again and uplifted to aurora.
  • Coordinate and other things as they come up.

chutten@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

  • Become Interim Team-Lead for :Yoric, :poiru for a couple weeks while :bsmedberg grooms a permanent replacement for the larger Core team he's planning.

    • Meetings
    • Emails
  • Did some data deep-diving to see if we could measure how the Internet is getting slower

    • Emailed some researchers to see if it was publishable
    • Did some analysis and data diving.
    • Constructed a data-blind method
    • Eventually had to give it up because I won't have time for it (see above), so I published to github and told the researchers that it was open season
  • bug 1238121 - cleaned up patch, landed, merged, backed out (witch hunt), resubmitted

  • bug 1242777 - (exposing child thread hangs via JS) - patch reviews

  • bug 1231968 - (custom stack frames for JS) - wrestling with the Profiler, got a label to show in the profiler! (it was corrupt, but it was there).

  • Had some illuminating chats about gc/cc on #perf with :avih and :Yoric, information supplied by :smaug

  • Watched brantina "Ideals Over Technology" -- interesting, though I can't immediately pull to mind one or two things that stood out. Just neat, I guess?

  • Fixed Vidyo's persistent "Low Power Mode" by turning my computer off and then on again

  • Did some analysis for a thread on dev-platform (on :mhoye's request) about how many users on release have SSE2. I put the analysis on github

Next:

  • bug 1231968 - Maybe it expects stack label strings in a specific format?

  • bug 1226564 - Rerun the analysis on the beta 44 data to see if the regression was still present in December. If so, comment about representative population samples and reopen.

  • bug 1198211 - back-burner, but still kicking around. Will need to bug someone who knows memory stuff (maybe :erahm? He put the USS measurements in on MacOSX/Windows to support that MEMORY_TOTAL histogram bug 1198209 I had)

gpetrie@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

  • Workflows: The ESM/Diary Study launched last week and has been dominating my time. We have 32 people participating a 7 day Paco experiment. Many participants have had to be replaced, so we are extending it by 2 days for replacement participants. Between troubleshooting, German language translation, and pretty disappointing recruitment team, it's made for extremely long days.
  • Workflows: Legal and Risk Analysis questions about ESM. Went through a "Rapid Risk Analysis" for the first time :)
  • Public Speaking: Gave a 3-hour workshop to about 75 librarians at the LACONi Continuing Education program at the Skokie Library on Thursday morning.
  • Recruiting: Phone screened 1 candidate.
  • Recruiting: Met with Tim to go over on-sites and some other issues.
  • Content Strategy: Reviewed Michelle's draft, gave feedback.
  • User Testing: Met with Sevaan to discuss copy testing and iOS research.
  • Mobile UR Office Hours: Presented my Research 2015 Overview to the team.

Next:

  • Workflows: Provide workflows survey to ESM participants. Translating email copy today.
  • Public Speaking: Giving a talk at the DePaul HCI School tonight on Contextual Inquiry for UX Research.
  • Workflows: ESM/Diary Study analysis.
  • Workflows: Interview Guide drafting. I've gathered input from the Mobile team and I will start to work on incorporating relevant questions into the guide this week. *Recruiting: Remotely observing a candidate presentation this week.

nfroyd@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

  • Tracked down shutdown leaks in bug 1204784.
  • Activated Rust on 64-bit Windows nightly builds.
  • Started writing build system support for Rust cross-compiles (necessary for Android and some OS X builds)
  • Looked at some Rust packaging issues. Uploaded more things to tooltool.
  • Mind melds with our event loop and handling thereof.
  • Looked at an old "high cpu usage on Linux" bug.
  • Assisted with debugging some treeherder authentication issues, still unresolved.
  • Reviews. Almost done with PR_snprintf mentoring bugs.
  • Some UniquePtr conversion patches.
  • MemShrink meeting.
  • Hampered by household sickness.

Next:

  • More of the same.
  • C++ standard library needs seems to be cropping up more and more...

Coordination:

sfranks@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

adw@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • landed: Bug 1236364 - address bar pull down delete deletes wrong entry
  • posted new patches, landed: Bug 1233672 - JSON fragments visible when typing double quotes into location bar
  • got a basic work-in-progress working: Bug 1235397 - Investigate merging the action row with the input field
  • reviewed: Bug 1240014 - [e10s] Enable newtab tests in browser/base/content/test/newtab/
  • reviewed: Bug 1196677 - About:home/newtab (one-click) searches are performed with the hovered mouse item instead of the current string
  • reviewed: Bug 555087 - crash [@mozilla::storage::Statement::BindParameters(mozIStorageBindingParamsArray*)]
  • reviewed: Bug 1158511 - Add "most recent expired visit" telemetry
  • feedbacked: Bug 1189101 - Cycling the default engine via the keyboard in the in-content search UI includes only one-click engines
  • more mentoring: Bug 524757 - Add architecture and operating system to about:support
  • got my intern started

dteller@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • Waiting.

  • Async

    • Bug 1240013 - Crash in nsNavBookmarks::OnVisit by setting long location.hash - reviewed (landed)
    • Bug 989960 - Unhandled rejections in DOM Promises should cause tests to fail (like Promise.jsm) - reviewed
    • Bug 1238440 - security - investigating.
  • Perf Monitoring

    • Bug 1241838 - aboutPerformance.js: TypeError: deltaAlerts.get is not a function - filed, v1 (landed)
    • Bug 1219144 - Using the nsRefreshDriver's jank indication for performance monitoring - n+1
  • e10s / BHR

    • Bug 1241112 - Find out why (if?) we have too many BHR hang reports - filed
    • Bug 1240878 - BHR uses a low-precision clock - filed
    • Bug 1214158 - [Session Restore] Measure time until all tabs that are restored eagerly are restored - requesting uplift
    • Attempting to reproduce BHR jank. Finally found out the combination to produce builds that support both BHR and statuser.
    • Bug 1240786 - The BHR should be able to inject Timeline events - v1-3, pending review.
    • Cleopatra #66 - Cleopatra should be able to dislpay BHR Timeline events - v1, pending review.
    • Bug 1224374 - Expand BHR pseudo-stack coverage - part 2 (landed, uplifted)
    • Bug 1210634 - Inaccurate Telemetry for Session Store time - I/O

Next:

  • Considering letting Perf Monitoring ride the trains without waiting another 6 months.
  • FOSDEM
  • Profiler labels for the parts of CPOW that I haven't instrumented yet, if any.

Coordination:

  • For some reason, I have been asked not to work on anything other than e10s, but whatever e10s work I have to do fails to keep me awake.
  • Motivation ~0.
  • Boredom ~100%.

randersen@mozilla.com last week

Next:

  • Wrapped up Today widget — finishing up spec today
  • Nearly finished with Menu explorations
  • Updates to TouchID error flow (connecting to FxA)
  • Wrapping up Longpress for back/fwd
  • Assets for new Top Sites tiles

aklotz@mozilla.com 3 weeks ago

Done:

  • Wrote an extension DLL that allows breakpad symbols to be used from within WinDbg; GitHub push and blog post forthcoming

Filed:

Investigated:

Wrote patch:

Reviewed:

Stability Investigation for bug 1229384

Next:

  • AsyncInit prep for 45 beta
  • Refactor WaitChain code to work with xpcom gtests
  • bug 1236108

Coordination:

  • We need some platform love for bug 1220502 -- YouTube content perf issue
  • I need to talk to froydnj about bug 1237463 -- weird event queue stuff going on

avihpit@yahoo.com 3 weeks ago

Done:

  • Bug 1239834 (15% js regression from off main thread JIT) - analysis, discussions.
  • Bug 1238040 - Analysis and discussion with kats about APZ scroll probes. new probes will be added, improved (in a way which is more "referencable").
  • Lots of discussions with mstange, experiments with scroll profiles, his new patches, etc. He wants to work more on his patch to generate scroll which is as close to IE as possible for people to test. I also have 2 more configs for people to test.
  • Installed and analyzed statususer addon behavior/reports, listed some potential improvements, possibly some bugs, and quite a few issues (not sure yet if they're addon or gecko), discussed with chatten.

Next:

  • back to e10s issues.
  • keep montoring hangs reported with the statususer addon.

felipc@gmail.com 2 months ago

Done:

  • Lots of work and coordination for the possible e10s experiment on beta:
  • bug 1226487 - e10s needs to be allowed on beta
  • bug 1222894 - beta experiment
  • bug 1198459 - disable e10s when a11y is enabled

  • Helped on task force started to run eslint on our js codebase, by removing the need for pre-processing a lot of our front-end code:

  • bug 1228627 - remove #includes
  • bug 1228655 - remove #ifdefs

agrigas@mozilla.com 3 months ago

Done:

  • finished first review design for global prefs for tracking protection (updated to support turning on in reg mode) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1225534
  • https://invis.io/R650A9ZJG

  • finished second iteration of control panel tracking protection readout of company names https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1218891
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg2jrtp12na4191/toggles_1119.png?dl=0

    Next:

  • continue refining designs and getting visual design input for above tickets
  • finishing draft of ux blog post on phase 1 of control center with tracking protection
  • bmohanathas@mozilla.com 3 months ago

    Done:

    Next:

    vdjeric@mozilla.com 4 months ago

    Done:

    dmajor & avih asked me to post a weekly status update, so here goes..

    E10S performance evaluation:

    • e10s shipping criteria meeting
    • Followed up on Q4 staffing for the E10S perf analyses
    • Reported bug 1210842 - [e10s] Long tab-switch times on hilton.com website
    • Filed bug 1210634 - Inaccurate Telemetry for Session Restore time
    • Filed bug 1210649 - Need a Telemetry e10s performance dashboard
    • Looked into e10s slow-addon Telemetry, commented bug 1199018 - [e10s] automate extracting slow addon data from telemetry
    • Looked over Roberto's patch in bug 1193089: Telemetry e10s experiment

    Content perf:

    • Writing blog post with Q3 findings, filing bugs with STRs
    • Followed up on bug 1199468 - Firefox mouse-wheel scrolling on Windows looks worse than IE/Edge. Reproduced findings, need to dig in further
    • Started tagging content-perf bug reports in bugzilla with Whiteboard label "[content-perf]", please do the same
    • Reported bug 1209207 - We create really big layers on github
    • Reported bug 1210836 - Terrible scrolling performance on Hilton.com website
    • Superficially looked at Firefox content-perf on non-English (mostly Chinese) sites in Alexa top 20
    • Attempted to reprdoduce Aaron's finding of bad Firefox scrolling on Twitter newsfeed with many HTML5 videos, seems Twitter newsfeed no longer auto-plays vidoes

    Client-side Telemetry:

    • Wrote patch for bug 1193535 - Store Heartbeat Scores in Unified Telemetry
    • Investigated bug 1209535 - 5% sample for unified telemetry (saved-session pings) is missing on release 41
    • Started discussion on fhr-dev: should base-set Telemetry generate saved-session pings?
    • Reported bug 1209607 - JS errors in about:telemetry when Telemetry is disabled
    • Followed up on fhr-dev question regarding histograms with very large bucket counts, filed bug 1211599, commented on bug 1207557, etc
    • Brought up concerns on Bug 1209131 - Need a way to capture stacks / crash dump without actually making the build crash
    • Suggested on Bug 1187864 - Investigate reason for unusually large Telemetry ping sizes
    • Reported bug 1210658 - Need exception handling in assemblePayloadWithMeasurements
    • Reported bug 1211222 - Telemetry attempts to send persisted pings at shutdown?

    Server-side Telemetry:

    • Discussed how to present opt-out Release-channel Telemetry in dashes & Spark on fhr-dev, filed bug 1210873: add a "release opt-out" channel to the Telemetry dashboard
    • Filed meta bug 1210637 for desired Telemetry dashboards
    • commented on bug 1209645 - Show Environment Data prefs in Telemetry Dashboard
    • Followed up on DataDog training classes for the team
    • Debugged Telemetry dashboard issue with keyed histograms https://github.com/mozilla/telemetry-dashboard/issues/183
    • Reported broken Addon Startup dashboard
    • Followed up on my crash report in bug 1202080 & bug 1203381 - [e10s] Reproducible crash in telemetry.mozilla.org

    Data Collection reviews:

    • Reviewed bug 722110 - Telemetry for plugin use
    • Reviewed bug 1191414 - gather telemetry on usage of
    • Reviewed bug 1198883 - Improve ICE telemetry probes
    • Reviewed bug 1207665 - startup crash in mozilla::layers::CompositorD3D11::GetTextureFactoryIdentifier()
    • Reviewed bug 1207785 - Create telemetry probe for tracking number of youtube embed tags seen by users
    • Reviewed bug 1210240 - Do some telemetry for potential subject-principal crash sites
    • Proposed an approach for bug 1208416 - Report on Hello MAUs per new MAU definition

    Hiring:

    • HackerRank training
    • Tested Benjamin's HackerRank interview questions
    • Wrote up a proposal for interviewing senior engineers, met up with Mossop to discuss
    • Emailing with 2 referrals (our new hiring process isn't ready)
    • Reviewed Roberto's Telemetry new-hire tutorial slides
    • Followed up on mess of confusing & similar sounding job titles on our careers site
    • Logistics of Chris Hutten's (new hire) visit to Toronto office during week of Oct 19th

    Perf regressions:

    • Commented bug 1199425 - Creating a new tab on Windows performance regressed
    • Reproduced plugin hang in bug 1210665 - BigBlueButton Hangs in 41.0.1
    • Followed up on Telemetry regression alerts reported to mailing list: FX_SANITIZE_COOKIES_2, GRAPHICS_SANITY_TEST, MEMORY_FREE_PURGED_PAGES_MS, missing gfx-telemetry-alerts alias, etc
    • Discussed issue of recent spate of plugin regressions with aklotz and jimm
    • Followed up with Avi on TART not catching Mason's newtab improvements

    Team stuff:

    • Followed up on startup error messages in bug 1205819 - Sanity test error "this.mm is null" on Windows Server 2012 (Remote Desktop)
    • Draft of team Q4 goals: mostly e10s perf, Avi on content-perf, aklotz on plugins/IPC/DLL blacklist/etc
    • One-on-ones with Avi, Aaron, Roberto, Yoric, Benjamin
    • dmajor's plans
    • Mozlando preparation -- I hope you all registered!

    Performance bugs:

    Virtual crash debugging team:

    • Trying to reach/recruit njn
    • Trying out dmajor's crash debugging tips

    Meetings & administrative:

    • Read over Firefox & Platform product line reviews, can't share with team yet
    • Biweekly "Performance Testing" meeting with A-Team
    • Met with SUMO about Hearbeat Telemetry
    • Katie's weekly Telemetry meeting
    • Shipped out a content-perf Galaxy S4 to Jonathan Hylands
    • bug 1209380 - Switched to a new, static blog with Jekyll http://blog.vladan.org/2015/09/28/new-jekyll-blog.html
    • Reached out to community member Julien Pages (author of mozRegression) to thank him for his contributions
    • Mountain View trip expenses

    Next:

    • Blog post with Q3 content-perf wrapup
    • Q4 planning
    • Reviewing team Q3 accomplishments
    • More work on hiring & hiring process, including HackerRank questions & working with Mossop on senior engineer interview questions
    • e10s Telemetry client-side patches
    • try to wrap up my part of bug 1199468 - Firefox scrolling looks worse than IE/Edge
    • Lots more Telemetry data collection reviews
    • Weekly meetings
    • Triage bug 1211090 - Thousands of very small safe browsing file operations during startup account for >50% of system calls

    dmajor@mozilla.com 4 months ago

    Done:

    Looked at:

    shorlander@mozilla.com 4 months ago

    Done:

    Next:

    • Finish panel element stuff
    • More search stuff

    dhenein@mozilla.com 4 months ago

    Done:

    • private browsing implementation with Steph and associated tweaks/polish
    • some concepting for a new iOS idea
    • finished job description and submitted to HR

    Next:

    • Toronto Mobile Work Week

    mmaslaney@mozilla.com 5 months ago

    Next:

    • Style Guide Framework: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/presentation/d/1phyOfNHa1xInIE6G681elnmYmO8m61seDgJJqq_MnIg/edit?usp=sharing • Cataloging Atoms within the Style Guide Framework: https://invis.io/BZ4692P6D

    Firefox Hello Refresh • Share Screen • Cursor Interactions • Co-browsing

    VR • Building Blocks: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/presentation/d/1xuWEUBVQjrvMQelB4QKxNyk61ToztTJxyZKl2qKB7YI/edit?usp=sharing

    madhava@mozilla.com 7 months ago

    Done:

    • PLR
    • HRy stuff - review process, staffing
    • Starting to dig into add-ons

    Next:

    • More digging into add-ons in earnest
    • Some hello review
    • Some search coordination

    bmcbride@mozilla.com last year

    Done:

    • Autocomplete race bug (bug 1105967) done, just waiting on review (low priority, given everything going on)
    • Much ReadingList work
      • Meetings, planning, UX details, bugs, breakdowns, etc
      • Sidebar is coming along nicely
        • Functionality for this bug mostly done
        • Keyboard navigation done
        • A11y done
        • Visual design done
        • Needs some cleanup, tests, handling adding/removing
          • I like nesting bulletpoints

    ttaubert@mozilla.com last year

    Bugs:

    Bug 1010411 - Intermittent browser_sessionStorage.js | sessionStorage data for example.com has been serialized correctly - Got inner-value-0.8433122792777099, expected modified2 (Not Started)
    Bug 1073339 - Investigate autocomplete test unreliability on Linux/e10s (In Review)
    Bug 1077652 - Link a preloaded <xul:browser> to a newly created tab instead of swapping docShells (In Review)
    Bug 1104755 - Intermittent browser_tabMatchesInAwesomebar_perwindowpb.js | undefined assertion name - | Test timed out - expected PASS | Found a browser window after previous test timed out - expected PASS (In Review)

    mbonardo@mozilla.com last year

    Bugs:

    Bug 1083469 - Allow keywords APIs to work in parallel with Bookmarks.jsm (In Review)
    Bug 1089332 - Add a getObservers API for accessing the history observers list from History.jsm and nsPlacesExpiration (In Review)
    Bug 1090308 - Invalidate mDaysOfHistory when getObservers is invoked (In Review)
    Bug 1090961 - Bookmarks.jsm and History.jsm need a solution for concurrent Sqlite transactions (In Review)
    Bug 1101478 - Remove the WindowsJumpLists.jsm depedency on hasHistoryEntries (In Review)

    gijs@mozilla.com last year

    Bugs:

    Bug 1079303 - Doorhangers animation is missing (In Progress)
    Bug 1080801 - Breakdown: Investigate tests in browser/base/content/test/general disabled in e10s (In Progress)
    Bug 1088050 - Need a pref to disable searching for single-word input in the URL bar (In Review)
    Bug 1100079 - enable update badge UI in Nightly (In Review)
    Bug 1100914 - Switch context menu telemetry to a serialized array of states instead of a single string (Not Started)

    Done:

    Addendum: one sec-sensitive bug in review.

    jwein@mozilla.com last year

    Bugs:

    Bug 1074932 - Desktop client user can access product tour from gears menu (In Progress)
    Bug 1083466 - Implement the FTE UI in the panel body with a button to open the tour tab (In Review)
    Bug 1099495 - Use mozL10n.get instead of mozL10n.get alias in code that already has the alias defined (In Review)
    Bug 1100565 - Margins and paddings are inconsistent/broken since bug 1074672 (Not Started)
    Bug 1100764 - Contacts move up and down when hovering over them (Not Started)
    Bug 1101006 - Refactor mozLoop.{get, set}LoopCharPref and mozLoop.{get, set}LoopBoolPref to mozLoop.{get, set}Pref that uses getPrefType (Not Started)

    Done:

    Bug 1099495, bug 1083466, and bug 1074720 (private bug) have all been granted r+. I'll land them today.

    mano@mozilla.com last year

    Bugs:

    Bug 937560 - Introduce onDeletePages (In Progress)
    Bug 951651 - Make bookmarkProperties, Star UI and Library info pane work with PlacesTransactions (In Review)
    Bug 982115 - Async Places Transactions: Solution for implementing Cancel/Undo in bookmarks dialog and Star UI (In Progress)
    Bug 1081108 - Implement reorder in Bookmarks.jsm (In Progress)

    Done:

    • Landed the patch for Bug 982115
    • Finished porting most of Places UI to new Async APIs (worked is tracked in bug 951651).

    Next:

    mozilla@noorenberghe.ca last year

    Bugs:

    Bug 1074670 - Implement NotificationView's button (e.g. retry) (In Progress)
    Bug 1080944 - UITour: tour page needs to know where Hello panel and room view are positioned (Not Started)
    Bug 1093500 - Cleanup registration by pulling push URLs from the push handler (In Progress)

    irving@mozilla.com last year

    Done:

    Thanksgiving Holiday

    Perf:

    Thunderbird:

    Next:

    • r? on bug 1075153
    • follow up on AsyncShutdown crashes
    • Self-support bug 1075154
    • Start discussion of startup cache removal/replacement ideas

    Coordination:

    AsyncShutdown crash work is high priority but unknown effort.

    mhoye@mozilla.com last year

    Done:

    Met about Bugzilla-DB dumps, got the information I'll need to see to their resurrection. Pursuing that.

    Coordinating with Kyle about elasticsearch and the new-contributor-patch egg-timer idea. He's respinning an old patch-status dashboard for it - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1074210 - and I'm setting up a 'bot for interested people and #notification

    Got feedback about Firefox And The Academy post, put it up.

    Email, endless email. Patching all the machines I own, because free software is sometimes cruel.

    Next:

    Kill my inbox Add leverage numbers to areweeveryoneyet a small number of straggler planet bugs. Figure out what the uptake of StartMozilla bugs is.

    benjamin@smedbergs.us last year

    Bugs:

    Bug 791244 - Undo the pref for the temporary hangserver for beta channels until Socorro is awesome (In Review)
    Bug 1053745 - Include OpenH264 plugin in FHR data (In Review)
    Bug 1053746 - Add telemetry probes for OpenH264 plugin (Not Started)

    Done:

    Firefox work week!

    • Desktop platform team announcement; now working with rstrong and vladan and their teams!
    • Switch nightly/aurora back to the main socorro instead of the "skunky" one which was supposed to die in early 2013.
    • Add OpenH264 details into FHR

    Next:

    • Hiring plan
    • Add OpenH264 details into telemetry payload
    • Project prioritizing - need to figure out short-term plan for self-support project

    rpodiuc@mozilla.com last year

    Done:

    • got hit by a car so went for PTO half day to doctor
    • investigated Jasper and tried to install it on mac
    • got ev3 & some missing pieces needed for mechanics
    • installed vm to compile node for arm & java code but finally figured a better way
    • wifi firmware update/ wifi dongle finally working
    • working ev3dev image
    • had some trouble with kernel modules for sensors(still got some problems as drivers not implemented yet)
    • built eva robot for preso
    • started coding eva

    Next:

    • last week so probably finishing code for eva
    • writing a preso
    • making preso
    • writing a blog about it
    • figuring what next

    jmoradi@mozilla.com last year

    Done:

    IPP experiment:

    • First meetings w/ UX, Metrics, Marketing
    • Talked to bwinton re: Telemetry

    Polaris:

    • holding

    Next:

    IPP experiment:

    • map out all possible scenarios.
    • regroup w/ Metrics, UX, marketing
    • Write our breakdowns for experiment design

    Coordination:

    Polaris:

    • awaiting instructions

    ibarlow@mozilla.com last year

    Next:

    • UX backlogging
    • Search work with Anthony
    • Robin (new designer) starts next week, yay!

    manishsmail@gmail.com last year

    Done:

    XHR:

    Other:

    Next:

    • Implement a basic synchronous GET request
    • Start work on adding POSTdata support to resource_task
    • Dummy webidl implementation of ProgressEvent

    vstanchev@mozilla.com last year

    Done:

    • Bug 965373 - When the profiler stops it doesn't stop the EventTracer thread - Waiting for final review
    • Bug 967635 - Add profiling hooks for all the major Talos Test - should be ready to commit, waiting for final test results
    • Bug 986160 - Create unit tests for the Gecko Profiler - Waiting for a review on Benoit's fix for the gtest headers
    • Bug 962262 - Use external structure padding to save ~30% of circular buffer space - committed
    • Bug 867728 - Stream profiler JSON directly to a file - committed

    Next:

    • Intern Presentation
    • Bug 967630 - Add an option to trychooser to select Talos profiling options - will get the frontend committed after talos is done
    • look at compressing javascript stacks in the profiler's buffer if there's time left over

    joel.maher@gmail.com last year

    Done:

    • initial work setting up power profiling
    • lots of work on latency-benchmark, but 982748 as a result
    • landed remaining conversions for testing/mochitest/*.json to mochitest.ini files
    • reviewed a lot of manifest and talos patches
    • did initial work to get browser chrome for linux debug running on ec2 slaves, 1 remaining bug 933860 is remaining for us to switch

    Next:

    • experiment more with power profiling toolchain
    • develop short term goals for power profiling
    • continue investigating into linux latency-benchmark
    • start more detailed investigating of win7 and latency-bencharmk
    • ensure we have a permanent or temporary solution to bug 933860
    • sort out agreeable solution for b2g alerts and detecting the changeset
    • make a pass through a 10 day backlog of talos alerts

    Coordination:

    releng, ateam, perf

    mconley@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Bigass holiday + work week!
    • Finished up the majority of UITelemetry probes - handed off the UITour probes to Unfocused (thanks Blair!)
    • Started attacking the customize mode transition smoothness bug (bug 873060). * Have filed a number of blocking bugs with approaches to make the transition smoother. * Bug 962677 is an important bug in this plan, and will hopefully be reviewable soon.
    • Have a patch cooking to fix bug 930094 (Browser windows sometimes have the nav-bar drawn in the titlebar)

    Next:

    • Put the patch for bug 930094 up for review, and file follow-ups for lightweight theme support
    • Get patch for bug 962677 into a reviewable state, reviewed and landed
    • A healthy mix of finding more ways of speeding up the customize mode transition, filing bugs for them, and fixing those bugs.

    Coordination:

    • bwinton and I are meeting with Alina Hua and (maybe) Alex Fowler to make sure the BrowserUITelemetry stuff isn't somehow violating our privacy policy.

    pamadini@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Downloads: Compatibility of the API modules with B2G (see bug 926955)
    • Logins: Rework DeferredTask to allow asynchronous tasks (bug 940408)

    Next:

    • Logins: Remove main-thread I/O (bug 853549)
    • Promises: Investigate using DOM promises instead of "Promise.jsm"
    • Downloads: API extensibility (bug 899013), decommissioning (bug 851471)

    mhammond@mozilla.com

    Done:

    testing, testing, 1..2..3..

    • Work on e10s test infrastructure
    • Work on Sync.Next tests

    Next:

    testing, testing, 4..5..6..

    mdeboer@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Australis: bug 900162, New bookmark drop-down panel should use platform-consistent styling when in the toolbar. Almost done.
    • Australis: bug 919965, DnD feedback in the panel is confusing. In progress.
    • Australis: mentored bug 922003, Move panelMenu gutter width to a constant next to menuPanelWidth
    • Findbar: bug 666816 regressions fixing & reviews. In good shape!
    • Other: bug 873126, Introduce a common JS Assert library

    Next:

    • Australis: work on P3/ P4 bugs
    • Findbar: track regressions and post new patch for bug 257061
    • Other: land(?) bug 873126, Introduce a common JS Assert library

    enndeakin@gmail.com

    Done:

    908256 - stop downloads when going offline 906139 - preserve unknown fields when serializing 907062 - fix browser_basic_functionality.js test, checked in

    Review some download manager patches. Investigate some focus bug others are working on.

    jmaher@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • bug 903681 - tsvgx/tscrollx on trunk based branches
    • inital pass at updating steps to add a talos test: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Buildbot/Talos/Misc#Steps_to_add_a_test
    • bug 848358 - new talos test TART landed and deployed to trunk based branches
    • private webpagetest instance is ready for use
    • analyzed octane, found Splay and Box2D to be bimodal on Android
    • recommended running 35 iterations to get 95% confidence in a reliable number for Octane

    Next:

    • cleanup talos suites to use filters and mozafterpaint correctly
    • resolve issues for webpagetest instance: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wpt-controller
    • document finding for Octane, produce Android and desktop numbers for the platform meeting
    • Investigate bimodal data on talos
    • continue feedback on new datazilla.mozilla.org UI

    Coordination:

    ateam, perf, games

    scaraveo@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • worked out new approach for patches in case remote frameworker doesnt land
    • small stuff landed, still working towards finishing out bug 889427
    • partner meetings

    Next:

    • possible slight changes to ux for socialmarks button

    fgomes@mozilla.com

    Done:

    Done:

    • bug 851466 - Import downloads.sqlite to downloads.json
      • Started working in this bug, posted a wip v1 and worked through the feedback for a v2
    • Various reviews and feedback and working with e10s folks
    • bug 516753 - Refactor context area menu for e10s
    • bug 899222 - About:home for e10s
    • bug 897062 - Middle click support for e10s
    • bug 896748 - Notification request box
    • bug 902695 - Implement openURIInFrame
    • bug 895957 - goDoCommand
    • bug 903184 - Disable more FullZoom code
    • bug 786407 - Fix UninstallString for webapps installer
    • bug 902048 - Use getOuterWindowWithId in webappsui.jsm
    • bug 901757 - Create file with correct permissions in webapps installer

    dgiani@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Ext4 transparent decompression v1
      • Discussions are still continuing on the LKML
    • Ext4 transparent decompression v2
      • Traced a lot of ext4 code. Code makes a lot more sense
    • Monday was a holiday

    Next:

    • Ext4 transparent decompression v2
      • Experimenting with changing page mapping
      • Code is clear now, so time to make changes
    • Volatile Ranges
      • Next patchset has just arrived, test firefox changes

    Coordination:

    • Continue discussing with upstream on where to target changes
      • I still think that within the filesystem is a better choice, just to avoid a lot of corner cases
      • Also the VFS "firewall" is hard to cross.

    mak@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Landed on UX Bug 855805 - Create the Bookmarks widget with subview
    • Experimental patch in Bug 894331 - Automatic batches for Places results.
    • Gone through Downloads Panel feature recent feedback
    • Review Bug 513168 - Remove "Stop" and "Reload" from View menu
    • Review Bug 519937 - Remove "Back", "Forward" and "Home" from History menu
    • Feedback Bug 836437 - Add the ability to resume a download from where it stopped
    • Review Bug 874814 - (OMTConnectionClose) [Storage] Implement OMT AsyncClose()
    • Feedback Bug 891303 - Async-friendly transaction manager for Places
    • Review Bug 895839 - Remove support for binary annotations
    • Feedback Bug 895907 - Aero selection styling bottom border is too much bright
    • Review Bug 896193 - Adopt Promises in mozIAsyncLivemarks

    Next:

    • Handle Reviews/Feedback backlog
    • Fix tests for Bug 894331 - Automatic batches for Places results

    jaws@mozilla.com

    Done:

    Landed on UX:

    • Bug 895724 - Remove reload-button and stop-button from browser.xul since they are not needed anymore
    • Bug 895778 - Optimize code path of CustomizableUIInternal.registerToolbar

    Up for review:

    • Bug 896291 - "Close other tabs" should show the confirmation dialog if the number of tabs is greater than browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo
    • Bug 896157 - Optimize the CustomizableUIInternal.setLocationAttributes function

    Build a focused profiler for CustomizableUI and shared it with mconley so we can measure perf changes between optimizations. Will blog about it.

    Next:

    • Contact someone from the layout team about a dirty nsIReflowObserver
    • Need to start reaching out to other people to see what possible ideas they may have for fixing perf of WinXP tpaint.

    dolske@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Another round of Australis prioritization triage
    • wontfix'd bug 893065 and bug 893013
    • Met with rel-mgmt, support, QA to talk about Australis compat impact with addons
    • Updated patch for bug 355063
    • Lots of other Australis stuff

    gavin@gavinsharp.com

    Done:

    Next:

    • Blog post about work week
    • finalize Q3 goals

    espindola.invalid@smedbergs.us

    Done:

    misc:

    • Accepted a job offer at another company. This is my last week at mozilla.

    mozilla-central:

    • a2e147b93af6 - bug 845277 - Asan builds burning with "js/src/jsproxy.h:346:7: error: visibility does not match previous declaration".

    • 8db79d56a4b1 - bug 845613 - Locking issues in the write poisoning code.

    • 64ccf95dc579 - bug 846298 - Misc cleanups to the write poisoning base/OS split.

    • 00c6018cb20e - bug 846922 - Read late write stacks on windows.

    telemetry-toolbox:

    • e01dd67088ebb124181ca55e3766ab4e056659d6 - Use a short timeout. In some cases we can get a lot of timeouts from the symbolication server. With the default urllib2 timeout the script would not finish in time (take more than one day).

    Next:

    • Finish the windows write poisoning (bug 847492, bug 847468 and bug 846471).
    • Do an end to end test to see if a windows lat write shows up in the late write report.
    • Exit interview.

    b56girard@gmail.com

    Done:

    • bug 839740: GTest is ready to land, waiting on review
    • Continue to improve multi-threaded profile support in the UI
    • bug 734691: Worked with snorp to add Multi-thread support to the non breakpad backend.
    • bug 839538: Fixing up the tear down sequence for the layers refactor
    • bug 779291: Reviewed the preliminary SPS rollup patch

    Next:

    • bug 839538: Fixing up the tear down sequence for the layers refactor
    • Help with breakpad unwinding any way I can.

    tabraldes@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Implemented review comments for bug 795832 - synthesized input events
    • Thought of and implemented a way to avoid SetCursorPos in bug 795832
    • Attempted to get on-screen keyboard to appear by synthesizing click in URL bar
      • That didn't work, so tested manually clicking in URL bar
      • Filed bug 809629 about clicking in URL bar not showing soft keyboard - turns out this is expected behavior
    • Submitted, backed out, fixed, resubmitted patch for bug 795832
    • Switched to building locally with VS2010, switched to building release builds
    • Debugged remaining issue with metro chrome tests; browser hangs while unloading a DLL during shutdown, but log is written
    • Implementing chrome tests
      • Updated browser_context_ui.js to test right-click interaction with context UI

    Next:

    • More tests! I'll be going through browser/metro/base/tests/fennectests and porting them to metro

    necheverria@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • minor fixes on bug 770317 (xperf mainthread io tracker)
    • investigating bug 774949 and getting familiar with the code, proposed preliminary patch
    • day off Thursday (intern scavenger hunt)
    • intern presentation

    Next:

    • check more on the consequences of removing JAR validation in getOwner in bug 774949 (as also mentioned in bug 726125)
    • bug 748598, or find another snappy-p1 bug, or coordinate with vladan to help him with some bugs

    jmathies@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • command execute handler prep for review
    • finished up xul fennec code base move. This is as far as I can get things until we work out the mixed platform/app resources problem.
    • fixed pymake/make issues with reg scripts.
    • fixed a bug with the dummy vccor dll that showed up with our builders.
    • upgrading local systems to new win8 release / VS tool set.

    Next:

    • migrating metro code base to RC VC11
    • work with bbondy on any xaml interop removal fallout
    • hopefully finish up /browser integration near the end of the week, get elm zip installs functional.

    dtownsend@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Submitted pdf.js packaging work for review (bug 740795)
    • Patched a problem on OSX with FAT filesystem profiles (bug 733436)
    • Patched a problem with restartless add-ons when moving profiles between machines (bug 744833)
    • Added some quoting for the extensions crash report annotation (bug 753900)
    • Thoughts on shipping the SDK in Firefox and problems with supporting other apps: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/SDK-in-Firefox

    mozstatusupdate@glek.net

    Done:

    • bug 748417: python script to generate metrics-friendly json from our histogram definitions
    • lots of reviews on Yoric's File API
    • bug 743877: poked at tab delays due to settimeouts

    ddahl@mozilla.com

    Done:

    • Work Week last week for Identity derailed some development

    Made some progress on bug 673432 "Mobile implementation crypto.getRandomValues" - this bug also governs re-adding a crypto object to window on mobile platforms

    Worked on bug 734076 - I have a working patch, there are some unanswered questions yet

    Next:

    More of the same

    myk@mozilla.org

    Done:

    Next:

    • dig into Apps front-end and platform requirements

    Coordination:

    • in MV Wednesday

    margaret.leibovic@gmail.com

    Done:

    • Site settings menuitem (bug 706876)
    • Click-to-play plugins follow-ups

    Next:

    • Form autocomplete follow-ups (dependencies set on bug 695444)
    • Random bug fixing

    Coordination:

    • PTO next week. Back January 4.

    me@shawnwilsher.com

    Done:

    • Reviewed bug 699051 - Track slow sql queries on main thread + send them in via telemetry
    • Reviewed bug 465299 - mozStorageStatementWrapper::Initialize should check statement state/validity
    • Reviewed bug 702815 - Maintain a list of open SQLite connections
    • Reviewed bug 703143 - Use a memory multi-reporter for SQLite's per-connection reporting
    • Reviewed bug 557047 - Replace mailnews specific ifdef (MOZ_MAIL_NEWS) in cookie code with tests for a protocol flag

    honzab.moz@firemni.cz

    Done:

    (Extremely busy week, so not much done)

    review bug 534764 review bug 623948 analyzes bug 637657 bug 637361 bug 638179 bug 638218

    Next:

    continue reviewing new http pipelining stuff from Patrick McManus start playing with bug 370886

    michal.novotny@gmail.com

    Done:

    • bug 604897 - Unable to cache small entries when CACHE00[1-3]_ is full
    • bug 599127 - Wyciwyg channel write's end up doing synchronous disk IO
    • bug 592422 - preallocate individual (non-block) cache files
    • bug 597224 - HTTP Cache: use directory tree to store cache files

    Next:

    • bug 614513 - Crash in nsCacheService::DeactivateEntry during Linux Talos ts_cold

    bherland@mozilla.com

    Done:

    bug #549767 (flush cache-metadata off main thread): new approach, some discussion

    bug #589296 (Crash in [@ nsHttpChannel::ContinueProcessResponse): lots of analysis and thinking

    bug #561276 (Cookie dependency on cache determination for image redirects): patch submitted and reviewed

    Next:

    bug #549767 (flush cache-metadata off main thread): new approach, some discussion

    bug #536295 (e10s HTTP: offline application cache) : review

    bug #575928 ("http-on-modify-request" doesn't work on "CONNECT" method): review

    bug #551447 (Avoid async writes to memory-cache) : fix

    bug #572557 (nsDiskCacheEvictor::VisitRecord() dooms used entries unnecessary) : fix

    Coordination:

    bug #561276 (Cookie dependency on cache determination for image redirects): waiting for approval

    bug #548406 (xpcshell-test causing leak in nsMemoryCache) : needs review (michal)

    bparr.invalid@smedbergs.us

    Done:

    • Mainly worked on Bug 551274 - Update nsAddonRepository for API version 1.5:
      • Adds functionality needed for my current project
      • Adds a bunch of missing tests for AddonRepository.jsm
    • Landed Bug 558287 - Add support for searching add-ons on AMO via the addon manager's search bar
    • Fixed small bugs:
      • Bug 580379 - Move and improve CSS introduced in Bug 558287
      • Bug 578467 - xpinstall.whitelist.add prefs are not emptied when converted into permissions on startup with new profile

    Next:

    • Continue work on current project:
      • Begin showing new information from AMO in detailed and list view (temporarily storing information)
      • Begin work on back-end storage of new AMO data
    • Look into my other beta 4 and beta N blockers

    mnandigama.invalid@smedbergs.us

    Done:

    Working on bugs/enhancement requests on the topfails website.

    Tried [ unsuccessfully ] to create a backPort tracking application for changeset landings. The idea is to ask for a release branch and check if all the relevant landings on the branch are ported appropriately to all the current & active named-branches. Unfortunately, the logic of deciphering what are current active named branches on a given release is not trivial.

    Next:

    May 21st is my last working day with Mozilla.

    Coordination:

    Working on winding down and hand-off of the tools/scripts I develop/maintain to A-Team.

    vladimir@pobox.com

    Done:

    • xpcshell builds and runs

    Coordination:

    android

    kdangoor@mozilla.com

    Done:

    Can now build Bespin Embedded releases

    Next:

    Slim down the Bespin Embedded build (currently more than 600K compressed, but not gzipped). More docs Work on CommonJS presentation for JSConf.eu (I'll be giving the presentation at a2div this week.)