Mozilla Status Board

The Mozilla status board is shutting down due to persona shutdown and declining usage. I recommend that teams switch to the alternate reporting site standu.ps. This site will remain in read-only mode until January 2017 when it will decommission completely. bsmedberg

manishearth@gmail.com

Current Status - 2015-03-09

Done:

Servo:

  • Getting Gonk to work again
  • Mach integration of Gonk
  • Started Travisifying deps
  • Started work on linear types

Rust:

  • Rollups and shepherding
  • Figuring out improvements to the build system
  • Workshop at GNUnify

Next:

  • More travisification
  • Help Philip with linear types
  • Use code similar to humpty_dumpty for unused clone detection
  • Fix SSL SAN

Older Posts

Member of Projects

Team Posts

dhosfelt@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • Started implementing cross origin wrapper
  • Investigated switching certificate verification to webpki

Next:

  • Learn how to codegen
  • Update openssl dependencies (req. for updated cert verification)
  • Go to Hawaii

Coordination:

  • I leave for Hawaii on Thursday :D

lbergstrom@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • Internal goals reporting
  • Kept hacking on Android builders
  • Planning and management stuff

Next:

  • TWIS & internal goals reporting
  • Planning & management stuff
  • srsly finish Android

Coordination:

Was out two days for US Thanksgiving last week

mbrubeck@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • Audited Stylo reftest crashes, closed obsolete bugs, added root cause links.
  • Started work on table cell rowspan attribute (servo/servo#11297).

Next:

  • Finish implementing rowspan.

Coordination:

ajeffrey@mozilla.com last week

Done:

Next:

  • Land PRs.
  • Tidy up and document the constellation.
  • Get ready for Hawaii.

josh@joshmatthews.net last week

Done:

  • figured out a minimal test case for rr recording hangs
  • tried to reproduce some intermittent failures under rr
  • wrote processor for WPT structured log files
  • prototyped initiating layout image loads from script
  • reviewed bluetooth PRs
  • reviewed script thread sharing PR
  • reviewed about:blank PR
  • dug into timeouts in about:blank PR
  • updated blink patch to account for feedback from rbyers
  • read source of macOS mach implementation to figure out ipc-channel issue
  • tried to get TravisCI for osmesa working

Next:

  • continue working on image loading prototype
  • play with rr some more

Coordination:

PTO Wed-Fri.

slyu@mozilla.com last week

Done:

Stylo:

  • #14359 - Refactor drop-shadow filter
  • Implementing URL filter

Servo:

  • #14332 - Added an "auto" keyword for flexbox's min-size
  • Addressing review comments

Evangelism:

  • Rust beginner tutorial planning
  • Study Rust book

Next:

Stylo:

  • Implement URL filter

Servo:

  • Study how to implement drop-shadow in WR
  • Reviews
  • Flexbox min-size algorithm

Evangelism:

  • Rust trainings practice
  • Rust internal training planning

gwatson@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • Found and fixed the WR patch which exposed a heap of Servo intermittents.
  • Land WR update.
  • Updated mac to latest OS to try and repro WR bugs, but failed.
  • Many WR reviews.
  • Prototype zoom support.

Next:

  • Review and land several of the outstanding WR PRs.
  • Finish up initial zoom support PR.
  • Do some more profiling on various platforms and see why there are discrepancies.

Coordination:

  • Need to do some errands / prep work for Hawaii all hands.

mrobinson@igalia.com last week

Done:

  • Flattened an simplified the WebRender display list. Now it is much more similar to the Servo one.
  • Reimplemented support for scroll to fragment in WebRender. Servo PR is pending.
  • More cleanup of WebRender display list construction. Should help prevent API breaks in the future.

Landed:

Pending:

Next:

  • Land scroll to fragment support
  • Fix issue where borders and backgrounds of scrolling divs scroll instead of staying in place.
  • Start working on making sure that scroll roots follow CSS containing block rules.

mgoregaokar@mozilla.com 2 weeks ago

Done:

  • logical property cascade https://github.com/servo/servo/pull/14223
  • finish immutable cssom
  • start delegating cssom
  • cssom: insertRule(), deleteRule(), .sheet
  • cssom: keyframes backed cssrules, keyframerule, transitive ownership
  • cssom: groupingrule insertion/deletion, keyframesrule append/delete/find
  • (more or less finish cssom, with some leftover bits)
  • land rust-url, start figuring out next steps
  • stylo sync + bugfixes
  • rust-url putting out fires; investigating/fixing https://github.com/servo/rust-url/issues/241
  • finish up SOS reviews, make recommendations

Next:

  • Start taking over stylo animation issues filed by birtles
  • Improving rust-url
  • CSSOM leftover bits

edunham@mozilla.com last month

Done:

  • cleaned up & landed several old PRs
  • addressed servo infra fires
  • ran last pdxrust meetup of the year
  • hacked slowly on autoland :/

Next:

  • autoland
  • redirect individual rust community queries to the team list

Coordination:

I've filed PTO for Thursday and Friday afternoons due to driving up to http://seagl.org/ and giving a couple talks

michael@notriddle.com last month

Done:

  • Removed FlowRef leaks from grid and block flow.

Next:

  • Now that the rule tree has landed, I can resume work on DOM object counting.
  • Investigate the last hold-out of FlowRef leaking: fragment.rs.

bholley@mozilla.com last month

Done:

  • landed: stylo: avoid traversing non element/text nodes in style and layout #13172
  • landed: bug 1304913 - stylo: Manage servo node data directly from Servo
  • landed: Implement AtomicRefCell and use it for layout/style node data #13520
  • landed: Move children_to_process to layout #13655
  • landed: Refactor style logic to avoid direct access to the node data during the cascade #13656
  • landed: Fix warnings and make style and geckolib #![deny(warnings)] #13686
  • landed: bug 1309090 - stylo: Use AtomicRefCell for PerDocumentStyleData
  • landed: Implement OwningHandle in style #13759
  • landed: Update rust-stable-version to 1.12 #13772
  • Implement a Concurrent Generational Typed Arena (and AtomicRef{,Mut}::map) #13777
  • Implement AtomicRef{,Mut}::map #13797
  • landed: Implement ./mach test-unit --bench #13798
  • Implement OwningRefMut #16
  • Make RefCell OwningHandle creation not require unsafe code. #17
  • landed: Simplify TNode a bit, removing has_changed from style #13841
  • landed: Stop ticking animations on non-dirty nodes during traversal #13866
  • landed: Rearrange some data structures in preparation for the new incremental restyle algorithm #13863

Ms2ger@gmail.com 3 months ago

Done:

Servo DOM

Servo constellation

Servo other

Testing

Administration

  • 2016-09-12: expenses

SpiderMonkey

Reviews

Next:

  • mozmap

Coordination:

  • may end up taking some time off this week or next

kheadley@mozilla.com 4 months ago

Done:

  • wrote benchmark scripts and integrated with gnuplot
  • reorganized repo code
  • extended benchmarks with generated branches
  • wrote new version of incremental tree update

Next:

  • expand and integrate incremental tree update code
  • write tests of new code
  • write benchmarks enabled by new code
  • meet with team to define continuing support

Coordination:

official end of internship this week, need to plan closing and continuing duties

jack@metajack.im 6 months ago

Done:

  • Gave research talk
  • Became professional meeting attender

Next:

  • Progress on DirectWrite
  • Look into build-cef output
  • Start writing some blog posts

tschneidereit@mozilla.com 8 months ago

Done:

Since my last update last year, I mostly worked on the SpiderMonkey Promise implementation. That has landed in SpiderMonkey, but not been enabled for Gecko's use. Some additional patches for devtools and Xray wrappers need to land for that.

Additional work:

  • Re-implemented Function.prototype.bind in self-hosted JS, gaining several-10x speed-ups for the most common usecases in bug 1000780.
  • Continued work on the Typed Objects Explainer, incorporating most discussion results into the core explainer and adding more fleshed-out drafts of explainers for value types and class syntax.
  • Let Object.values and .entries ride the train, after porting them from JS to C++ :(

Also, I officially joined the browser.html team \o/

Next:

  • Finish SpiderMonkey Promise.
  • Integrate Promises into Servo's event loop as soon as nox' SMUP work is done.
  • Deepen my understanding of browser.html.
  • Get back into Servo work, now with a focus on browser.html blockers.

nox@mozilla.com 8 months ago

Done:

  • Asked questions around #devtools, got a meeting out of it on 2016-04-07 with some devtools people
  • Continued to do SMUP, not many errors, might get a successful build of rust-mozjs soon.

Next:

Continue the aforementioned things.

aramine@mozilla.com 9 months ago

Done:

  • Repair connection code to devtools
  • Looked at both Gecko and Chrome debugging protocols
  • Started talking with devtools team to understand how the Web Console protocol works

Next:

  • Continue talking with devtools stuff
  • Continue unforking of rust-bindgen

Coordination:

  • I will probably need to mess with compartments and whatnot for object grips in devtools. Will ask bholley for help.

pcwalton@mozilla.com last year

Done:

  • Made some HiDPI fixes to WebRender.
  • Moved WebRender over to Core Graphics and Core Text for glyph rendering on the Mac (not landed yet).
  • Implemented support for CSS filters in WebRender.
  • Fixed inset box shadow rendering in WR.
  • Improved WebRender scrolling.
  • Made some minor performance improvements in WR.
  • Reviewed a few Servo patches.

Next:

  • Get Core Graphics and Core Text support for WebRender landed.
  • Improve clipping of gradients.
  • Possibly:
    • Implement batching for raster items.
    • Implement batching for composite operations.
    • Improve the texture atlas allocator.
  • Catch up on Servo patches and reviews.

banderson@mozilla.com last year

Done:

Full log.

Next:

  • Manage website project
  • Start convo with package managers
  • Crater improvements
  • Preparing a talk on something
  • Investigate improvements to metadata indexing
  • Finishing multirust

ncameron@mozilla.com last year

Done:

Next:

More HIR stuff, some Rustfmt things

simon.sapin@exyr.org last year

Done:

  • Servo reviews
  • Servo: Drop support for box-sizing: padding-box
  • Rust: Add complex and contextual (but language-independent) case mapping and title case mapping
  • Rust: Deprecate String::from_str in favor of String::from
  • Rust: report bugs on warning inhibition in dependencies
  • string-cache and rust-selectors Rust upgrade
  • multirust: allow callers to override $CARGO_HOME
  • rust-smallvec: fix memory safety issue in drop, make the struct smaller, modernize the API

kmcallister@mozilla.com last year

Done:

Servo security bug triage

More reading on TLS, opened some relevant Servo issues

More fuzzing

Prepared a report on piston-image bugs

Wrote bindings for a web font sanitizer

Next:

Fix build issues with fontsan

Land tendril in h5e

Servo security writeup

Coordination:

I'm waiting for the new PNG decoder in piston-image, which is apparently almost ready.

manishearth@gmail.com last year

Done:

Servo:

  • Getting Gonk to work again
  • Mach integration of Gonk
  • Started Travisifying deps
  • Started work on linear types

Rust:

  • Rollups and shepherding
  • Figuring out improvements to the build system
  • Workshop at GNUnify

Next:

  • More travisification
  • Help Philip with linear types
  • Use code similar to humpty_dumpty for unused clone detection
  • Fix SSL SAN

acrichton@mozilla.com last year

Done:

  • Rust
    • Fixed a number of minor bugs relating to -L, -l, and cross compilation.
    • Landed std::env and std::io.
    • Wrote std::fs patch, std::net RFC, and std::net patch
    • Shepherded the from_raw_buf RFC
    • Fixed some assorted missing stabilization attributes
  • Cargo
    • Removed auto-cleaning behavior
    • Added support for --precise with registry dependencies
    • Fixed some assorted bugs

Next:

  • Land std::fs
  • Land std::net
  • Sheperd some more RFCs to landing
  • Make a plan for stabilizing remaining modules

czwarich@mozilla.com

Done:

(Long time since last update)

Next:

  • Dealing with libgreen / runtime removal from rust in Servo.
  • Helping futureproof Box and related features in Rust 1.0.
  • Moving graphics in Servo to a better state, particularly wrt surface management.

cgaebel@mozilla.com

Done:

  • Lots of incremental layout work
    • sibling selectors are a thing, so mark siblings of a dirty node are also dirty
    • Word wrapping bug in incremental layout fixed
    • Fixed the bug where wikipedia elements drift down the page
    • Fixed the bug where freshly loaded images wouldn't trigger a reflow
    • Implemented incremental reflow (before it was just incremental style recalc).

Next:

  • Fix all the bugs with incremental reflow. There's some failing reftests, and I can't seem to be able to remove an image in javascript without having to resize the page to make it disappear...
  • Implement incremental display list sending.

nmatsakis@mozilla.com

Done:

  • Reviewed:
    • hashmap
    • a DST patch or two
    • ... lost track ...
  • Landed:
  • Read numerous RFCs:
    • comment thread on macro syntax change, collected thoughts
    • comment thread on static drop, collected thoughts
    • ... lost track ...
  • RFCs:
    • Integer literals
    • Defaulted typed parameters
    • Amended privacy RFC
  • Submitted camera ready version of:
    • DLS paper on typed objects
    • HILT extended abstract on Rust
  • Worked on:
    • details of closure inference
    • removing bivariance and requiring markers more strictly
    • rebasing trait-reform branch over top of nrc (now bootstrapping)

Next:

Primary plans for this week:

  • trait-reform branch
  • land variance branch
  • settle plan on closures
  • ...a bunch of other stuff that's on my local to do list.

pwalton@mozilla.com

Done:

  • Submitted a PR for associated types.

Next:

  • Implement where clauses.
  • Burn down more P-backcompat-lang issues.
  • Land all my in-progress PRs.

aturon@mozilla.com

Done:

Next:

  • Help bjz land Option/Result RFC
  • Errors RFC with wycats
  • Paper revisions for OOPSLA
  • Concurrent circular buffer (a la Linux)
  • rust-book
  • Research Go's Text/Scanner

manishsmail@gmail.com

Done:

XHR:

Other:

Next:

  • Implement a basic synchronous GET request
  • Start work on adding POSTdata support to resource_task
  • Dummy webidl implementation of ProgressEvent

pnkfelix@mozilla.com

Done:

Its been a long time since last status report; d'oh.

Next:

Land control-flow graph visualization library with libgraphviz.

Attempt to clean up control-flow graph code and land it too.

Continue work on lifetime bounds (namely supporting constructs like ~Foo:'a and trait Bar<'a> : 'a { ... }).

Coordination:

Regarding make check-stage1: I am not sure if we could possibly turn it on in buildbots.

Alex said we probably cannot guarantee that make check-stage1 always works for arbitrary desired changes. Is there some middle ground, like having bors run make check-stage1 and write a note in any PR where it fails?

I.e. so that it doesn't block landing work, but contributors are at least informed that it is not working? (And might have a hope of tracking down when it started failing in previous PRs that landed?)

alex@crichton.co

Done:

  • Forbid unnecessary privacy in functions - #10111
  • Optimize tty usage in libuv (stdout mostly)
  • Implemented unstable::mutex::Mutex to remove all remaining C++ synchronization code
  • Landed the native file I/O patch
  • Re-worked privacy/reachable to put more work in privacy (where it belongs)
  • Removed linked failure

Next:

  • Get a review for the static linking patch
    • Once static linking is landed, get a libcxxabi/libunwind solution for windows
  • Rewrite channels to be much more optimized and work inside/outside the runtime
    • Drop oneshot, possibly drop SharedPort
  • Once channels are rewritten, add a convenient way of booting the runtime
  • Continue supporting 1:1 by overhauling task creation

Coordination:

I'll be in SFO all week, taking Wed-Fri off.

catamorphism@gmail.com

Done:

  • Triaged all remaining rustpkg bugs: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Rustpkg-priorities
  • Worked with Keegan to get more of servo ported to rustpkg (of course, Jack and Keegan get most of the credit for this)
  • Transferred ownership of the weekly triage meeting to Felix
  • Summarized OPW applications received so far (if you'd like to be involved in choosing the Rust intern, let me know, as there are four good candidates)
  • Closed #9569
  • Closed #9311
  • Fixed #10253 (still working on landing it)
  • Compiled list of existing rustpkg packages: https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Rustpkg

Next:

  • Select OPW intern
  • Fix as many bugs listed as "important" here ( https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Rustpkg-priorities ) as I can (if you have ideas about which ones are the most important, let me know)
  • Determine new owner for rustpkg (so far, Brian has expressed interest)

Coordination:

Friday is my last day of work. I might try to work from San Francisco tomorrow and/or Wednesday; haven't decided.

Please keep in touch -- my permanent email address is chevalier@alum.wellesley.edu and I still plan to be on IRC and the mailing list when I can.

eschweickart@mozilla.com

Done:

  • Initial iframe support with tikue
  • Presentation

Next:

  • Maintain iframe PR until it lands
  • Finish up a PR that addresses memory management in the compositor

tkuehn@mozilla.com

Done:

  • Landed FrameTree changes
  • Changes in compositor to connect the multi-layer changes to the FrameTree changes in constellation
  • Some general code cleanup, especially in constellation.rs

Next:

  • Get layout to send iframes' assigned positions and sizes to constellation

Coordination:

Working with eschweic on the compositor changes. If all goes well, iframes will land this week.

eatkinson@mozilla.com

Done:

  • assign_height is now partially bu instead of inorder
  • Type system enforces that traversal visitors can only view descendants

Next:

  • Work-stealing algorithms for tree traversals
  • Implement a Chase-Lev queue to do work stealing

Coordination:

Aaron Todd is working on a CLQ for the rust scheduler; we should avoid duplicating code.

pcwalton@mimiga.net

Done:

  • Removed copy from rustc.

  • Removed pub extern from the language.

  • Made @ take a 'static bound.

  • Started porting the visitor to use traits instead of @fns, with the eventual goal of removing @fn from the language.

Next:

  • Continue working on porting the visitor to use traits.

  • Remove @fn from the language.

  • OSCON Wed-Fri.

tchevalier@mozilla.com

Done:

Landed #7419 (making rustpkg build work without a package argument) Started #7075 (using workcache) -- got blocked on workcache context not being sendable. Graydon did some work on it and it should be possible for me to get back to this if that work has landed. Worked on #6407 (allowing extern mods to name a URL) Debugged sporadic rustpkg test failures on the Mac bot; currently making check-rustpkgtest depend on the rustpkg executable, which I'm hoping will fix it

Next:

Finish #6407 Finish #7075 Implement #6411

Coordination:

Working remote on Thursday and Friday (doctor's appointment on Thursday, heading to SF office for Feminist Friday).